Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Porsche 911 GT2 RS: Excitement

Porsche 911 GT2 RS
Porsche 911 GT2 RS

While I like fast cars I think the GT2 and others in the supercar category represent overkill more than they do the joy of driving. After a point it takes so much horsepower and money to make a car go just a smidgen faster that it hardly seems worth it. I last drove a GT2 in 2002, and while the new car is technological leap over the old one it is only two-tenths of a second faster from zero to 60 even though it has 36% more power and even weighs a little less. The 2002 GT2 cost $179,900.

One more thing irks me: The company says the GT2 ran a lap of the 14-mile Nurburgring racetrack in Germany in 7 minutes, 18 seconds. That’s way faster than my Mazda could do it, but it’s roughly even with the times top racing drivers were posting nearly 40 years ago. So where’s the great progress?

0 comments:

Post a Comment